Re: R shorthand

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: R shorthand
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 07:37:16 -0400

Hi Evan,

> FWIW the multimeasure rest syntax has been a bit of an annoyance with what
> I've been working on recently (Mars).

First of all, could you please email me the note code for "Mars" when you're
done? I'm working on a wicked-cool Lilypond demo, and "Mars" was exactly the
piece I was considering using for the example — if I could leverage your input
effort, it would be greatly appreciated.

> To me it's quite counter-intuitive that a "full measure rest" can mark any
> durations other than a multiple of a full measure

I can imagine that, somewhere out there, someone uses (e.g.)

    R1*15/16 s16\> s1\!

However, this (IMO) is not a compelling enough reason to avoid implementing my
suggested syntax — we should improve Lilypond to the point where such
non-intuitive code as the above is unnecessary.

> the proposed suggestion is a significant local improvement.

Glad to hear!

Cheers,
Kieren.