Column of music and a column of graphics... or creating invisible measur

From: rem-d
Subject: Column of music and a column of graphics... or creating invisible measures...
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 15:17:42 -0700 (PDT)

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n143065/cadences.png>

Hi, first post on this forum.

I wish to have something similar to the image attached. At the moment my
code is rather simple:

/upper = {
  \override Score.KeyCancellation #'stencil = ##f
  \set Score.explicitKeySignatureVisibility = #'#(#f #f #t)
  \override Score.BarNumber #'stencil = ##f
  \override Score.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f
  \time 2/4
  \relative c''{
   \key a \major
     <e b>
     <a, cis,>
     \break
     \key bes \major
     <f c a'>
     <ees  g bes>
     \break
 / ..... etc for the upper part. Similar for the lower /
}

\score{
   \new PianoStaff<<
     \new Staff  = "upper" \upper
     \new Staff = "lower" \lower
   >>/

I've experimented with using columns in markup but this just didn't seem to
do the trick. A slightly unsatisfying way to solve this would be to make the
measures completely invisible so only the notes (or graphics: i.e the lines)
would be visible.

Hope this makes sense. Apologies if this is something people have answered
thousands of times!

Andy