Re: changing the default midi instrument "permanently"

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: changing the default midi instrument "permanently"
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 00:51:10 +0100

Eluze <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote
>> Eluze &lt;
>
>> eluzew@
>
>> &gt; writes:
>>
>>> ..., but maybe I was confused by the fact that it works in the \with
>>> block...!
>>
>> A context modification in the music is applied to all outputs.
>>
>>> why can't midi items be read from the \layout block?
>>
>> Why would they?  The \layout block defines the output settings for the
>> graphical output, the \midi block for the sound output.
>
> that's how it works right now - but since LilyPond is able to tell
> what goes to the graphical or sound output I don't see why I have to
> specify where it goes myself!?

Context definitions are large, particularly for layout (containing all
grob descriptions).  Duplicating every information into every layout
definition would cause severe overhead particularly for Midi generation.
Also the translators (engravers and performers) are seriously different
in nature for layout and midi, so joining them does not make sense.

> maybe the terms \layout and \midi should then be summarized in
> something more neutral like \settings or \migr (for *mi*di and
> *gr*aphics)

What parts should be common for layout and midi and what parts not?
You'd not likely want to share translators...

--
David Kastrup