stem directions in music for voice and guitar

From: ivan . k . kuznetsov
Subject: stem directions in music for voice and guitar
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 22:52:01 -0500

Attached is the beginning of an arrangement for
voice and guitar.  The guitar part is two part counterpoint
in which I would like to control where the steps go up or
down.

(1) In the guitar part, even though I have \voiceOne marked with \stemUp
and \voiceTwo marked with \stemDown, why do the stems go down
in both voices?

(2) Is this snippet considered an example of "best practice", or
how might others structure a file for such a group of instruments?

Thank you for your help.

\version "2.16.0"
\include "english.ly"

\score {