Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:48:09 -0400

On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:22 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> The proposed convert-ly rule of issue 2329 converts everything it can
> interpret (which is the majority) to argumentless \relative.  This
> conversion is needed for converting the LilyPond code base, and it
> should be available to the user as well.  It should likely not be
> applied without notice as it affects work style.

Ah, "code base" includes the docs.  I missed that before.  Giving the user the
option of whether to convert to argument-less \relative or not would be ideal.
Not sure if convert-ly can do that.

Also, looks like you meant issues 3229 and 3231 (not 2329 or 2331).

> There was one other major convert-ly rule doing an actually optional
> conversion:
>    \override Context.Grob #'property #'sub = #5
> into
>    \override Context.Grob.property.sub = #5
> I think that doing this without asking was ok since it did not really
> affect meaningful choices taken by the user.

That makes sense.

> For better or worse, the choice of a reference pitch, even though it was
> a choice forced on the user, will likely have been taken with some
> deliberation, likely reflecting personal style and/or preferences.
> Throwing it away without asking would likely be impolite.

Agreed.

> Issue 2331 only converts \relative without reference pitch to \relative c'.

Sounds good,
-Paul