Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative

From: Evan Driscoll
Subject: Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:47:56 -0500

On 03/10/2013 03:50 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
The problem I have with talking much about \relative f is that f seems
arbitrary.  However, maybe an explanation linking both of these concepts
and explaining how f is arrived at will allow both views to coexist.
That's what I was trying to get at with the second suggestion I was making: "Note that when a pitch is written relative to f, the relative and absolute representations of the note are the same."

You could even make this a stronger statement: "The reference pitch f was chosen because notes written relative to f have the same representation as their absolute pitch."

Quite unlikely.  This conversion rule does not touch code it does not
understand.
That's certainly believable -- but the problem is that "{ \rhythm g }" looks locally like something that it actually does understand, as it looks like just a use of a music variable followed by a pitch.

To understand that it doesn't understand that, it would have to do at least enough parsing of the definition of \rhythm in order to determine that it is a scheme function that takes a single argument. Does it do that? I don't know.

Evan