Re: Excellent paper on 'Copyfraud'

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Excellent paper on 'Copyfraud'
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 18:31:44 +0100

Am 08.03.2013 14:18, schrieb Mike Blackstock:
This paper might be of interest to anyone typesetting public domain
music from so-called copyrighted scores:

Abstract:
"Copyfraud is everywhere. False copyright notices appear on modern
reprints of Shakespeare's plays, Beethoven's piano scores, greeting
card versions of Monet's Water Lilies, and even the U.S. Constitution.
Archives claim blanket copyright in everything in their collections.
Vendors of microfilmed versions of historical newspapers assert
copyright ownership. These false copyright claims, which are often
accompanied by threatened litigation for reproducing a work without
the owner's permission, result in users seeking licenses and paying
fees to reproduce works that are free for everyone to use. "

75 pages, PDF - Jason Mazzone, University of Illinois College of Law