Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative

From: Matthew Collett
Subject: Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 19:04:38 +1300

On 9/03/2013, at 12:22 am, Francisco Vila <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2013/3/8 Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>:
>> David Kastrup writes:
>>
>>> Issue 3229: Patch: Make \relative { ... } interpret the first pitch as
>>> an absolute one
>>
>> +1
>
> +1 , I was currently using \relative f { }  anyway, so this would
> allow removing the f, leaving the {...} intact, which for me would
> imply a smooth transition to the new behavior.

+1
I have always used \relative for pitch entry, and now usually use \relative f
{}.

With absolute pitch entry, not only is there extra typing but also a non-zero
chance of an odd note or two being entered in the wrong octave undetected; with
relative entry any octave error is immediately noticeable, since it propagates
through the rest of the piece.

Best wishes,
Matthew