Re: Bar lines

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Bar lines
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 00:13:01 +0100

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:56 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>> Similarly to Marc i'd very much like to see LilyPond automatically end
>> pieces with final barline.
>
> No question about that: of course I'd also always like LilyPond to do
> the right thing by itself.  But if it is impossible for LilyPond to
> guess the right thing, it should not get in the way of _me_ doing the
> right thing.

Sure.
I think that having LilyPond guess what final barline to use, with the
ability to override this decision just by typing desired bar command
at appropriate place, fulfills this requirement.

>> I understand David's concern, but i think that it can be quite easily
>> addressed.  For example, we could have a "final-barline" property that
>> the user could override in a style-sheet.
>
> What's a style sheet?

Um, is this a rhetoric question?
A style sheet is a lilypond file with context definitions that is
included into other lilypond file to affect how the latter is
formatted.

>> We could also implement some guessing: if the music is more than 1
>> system long, it should have a final barline, and if it's not, it
>> should end with regular barline.
>
> That's totally awful since it is utterly unpredictable.  It is
> _LilyPond's_ choice whether it can fit something on one or two systems,
> and the kind of barline to use at the end should not depend on the paper
> size.

ok, good point; replace that with:
if the music is more than 3 bars long, use a final barline; if it's 3
or less use a regular barline.  That's 100% predictable, i think.

see you tomorrow,
Janek