Re: Advocating non-free softwares

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Advocating non-free softwares
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 10:38:46 +0100

Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2/27/13, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> David,

>>> No — some of us just have a sense of balance and tolerance.
>>
>> Sounds to me like the "fair is foul and foul is fair" idea of balance
>> and tolerance pervading today's educational systems.
>
> Interesting phrase, thanks. Can you refer me to any specific polemic
> on this?

Starting scene of Macbeth.  But at any rate, I perceive a shift in
educational systems to award degrees that have at best a weak
correlation with being competent in the certified field of expertise.
There is much stronger pressure on teachers and professors to have
enough students pass exams rather than make sure that those who pass
exams can be trusted with their subjects.

Being "inclusive" is all the rage.  And if there is a stronger
correlation of social background and skin color and capability than of
grades and capability, relying on prejudice is a safer bet than relying
on grades.  Making it even harder for those who got what it takes to
escape the preconceptions.

But we are by now seriously off-topic.

--
David Kastrup