Re: Advocating non-free softwares [WAS: Heads up about Frescobaldi & Ubu

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Advocating non-free softwares [WAS: Heads up about Frescobaldi & Ubuntu - Insert Menu Glitch]
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:17:20 +0100

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> Come to think of it, do we say something about the choice of operating
> system?  We don't do that on the download pages, we present them as
> equal choices.
>
> Why don't we say something on the download pages like:
>
>    Free systems: GNU/Linux, FreeBSD ...  {we even say: UNIX, ugh!?}
>
>    We encourage you to use a free operating system.
>
>    We provide compatibility and binaries for [these] non-free
>    operating systems for your convenience.  Our respect for you and
>    your choice of operating system should not be mistaken for an
>    endorsement of that software.

Hm.  And using GNU/Linux would be inconvenient?  That sounds like "no
love for you heathens".  Erecting a fence and making stern faces.  When
our actual goal is to make users aware of the fences _others_ put around
them.  Let me try:

LilyPond is Free Software: it is developed in a spirit of cooperation,
with every user being allowed to copy the software, study its sources,
improve it or let it be improved and pass on his changes.  For its
operation, LilyPond depends on several other Free Software components
developed in similar spirit.  We bundle versions of other Free Software
components along with LilyPond for the sake of users of closed and
proprietary systems like MacOSX and Windows, providing the minimal
island of Free Software required for LilyPond to even run.  Setting up
an environment for more than just copying and running the software,
however, is not feasible on such systems.

Finding, installing, updating and maintaining other software that
cooperates well with LilyPond as well as joining a helpful community for
improving this environment and helping each other is easier when using
free operating systems fostering this cooperation.

If you find you enjoy working with LilyPond and its community, chances
are that working with the Free Systems where it is at home will become
rewarding to you.

Ok, too long.

--
David Kastrup