Re: A must-see for anybody on this list

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: A must-see for anybody on this list
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:25:07 +0100

On 02/12/2013 12:48 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
Looks we are missing the proper command for this.  With \pitchedTrill,
transposition works.

Yes, absolutely. A proper command would also help with the appearance -- as it stands getting the accidental placed just right over the trill sign is a bit finnicky.

Bear in mind it's not just trills but _any_ ornament (prall, mordent, turn, ...) where this applies, and some of them the accidental may be above or below (or conceivably, one above _and_ one below).

One issue with \pitchedTrill: AFAICS it operates only with a trillSpan. It's not obvious from the docs how to get pitchedTrill notation without an extender line.

As long as we provide a _proper_ command for that _and_ the user learns
them and does not put the names/notes/accidentals manually, things
should work fine.

Yes. This is something where LP probably has a potential edge over WYSIWYG editors, because the ornament's appearance doesn't need to be calculated in "real time" as it were.

You can write a pitch-normalizer for that purpose.  Not sure whether we
might not already have something like that.

There's a snippet to that extent somewhere in the repository. At some point in the past I tried to rework that into a general framework for setting the rules of transposition, but I couldn't get it to a satisfactory conclusion :-(

I can probably prepare a spec for what I'd like to see in terms of transposition rules, if that would be helpful. The short version: you need to have a variety of rule sets (at least 2: chromatic and tonal), you need to be able to switch arbitrarily between the two (e.g. some music may have tonal parts and atonal parts).