Re: Woodwind Fingering diagrams problem

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: Woodwind Fingering diagrams problem
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:17:49 +0100

On 01/29/2013 09:50 PM, Wim van Dommelen wrote:
6. Lot's of models have a right-hand low-ees key (with the thumb), There is no
such key. Wishlist.

Not recent French models, in my experience, but I agree it's often found.  The
trouble is its placement is not uniform.
The Selmer privilege has one.

Aah, I have not tried out that instrument.  Good to know.

I dived into Scheme today and it very, very much reminds me of Lisp in which I
did some small things 25 years ago.

Well, it _is_ Lisp -- a different dialect from Common Lisp, but Lisp
nevertheless.

Since you're finding it relatively straightforward to play with the Scheme code, can I put in a feature request -- any chance of fixing the shape of the register key for clarinet/bass clarinet? :-)

When you come to extended clarinets, such as the basset clarinet, basset horn,
or the low-C bass, contra-alto and contrabass clarinets, there is simply too
much variety for a physical diagram to be useful.  In this case the only
_reliable_ notation is to indicate keys via name.
Agreed, but as the key positions are sometimes used for different
note(-combinations), naming will also be confusing.

Can you clarify with an example? I presume you mean things like LH to RH little finger motions?

Yes, the idea is very straightforward and matches the images shown in the books
of both Harry Sparnaay and Henri Bok. The nice thing about a diagram (and
especially the nice ones from Mike) is that is shows a graphical display in one
view. And for my old Selmer (the "new model" in Henri's book) you could for
example play the low-C with the right thumb, but also when playing a low-D and
using the left f-key with it.

If you're playing the low D with the F key, why not just indicate to use both the low D and F keys? Or have I misunderstood what you mean?

You mean the system made by Fritz Wurlitzer? Wurlitzer is not Dutch, but German
("Deutsch" as we name it). The main difference is the cylinder inside, it has
different dimensions, different mouthpieces, different reeds and a different
sound result. The keys are not different as far as I know, only in the very high
registers. Tomorrow night I'll ask someone in the orchestra who plays on such an
instrument and I'll try to come back to you with a validated answer.

I know Wurlitzer is German, it's just that I was under the impression that the most widespread use of Reform-Boehm instruments was in the Netherlands. Anyway, it was just a curiosity.

B.t.w. years ago I made a small fingering help-application on my Palm organizer.
I'm thinking of putting this fingering stuff in a web-database (for fun). There
are already plenty people who do something like that, but not with the beautiful
Lilypond diagrams. Just an idea to play with.

I think that could be a great idea. Better still would be a web app that's compatible with phone/tablet use.