Re: Extraneous repeat with leading rest

From: Colin Hall
Subject: Re: Extraneous repeat with leading rest
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 09:57:29 +0000

Todd Hesla writes:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 12:09:03AM +0000, Colin Hall wrote:
> > Todd Hesla writes:
> >
> > > When processing a repeat block with a leading rest (and lyrics), Lilypond
> > > 2.14.2
> > > adds an extraneous leading repeat sign where the lyrics start (after the
> > > rest).
> > > The snippet below reliably reproduces the problem.  If the lyrics are
> > > removed
> > > (that is, if the "lyricsto" line is commented out), the extraneous repeat
> > > sign
> > > disappears.
> > >
> > > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> > > \version "2.14.2"
> > >
> > > notes = \relative c' {
> > >   c4 c c c |
> > >   \repeat volta 2 { r c d e | f g a( b) | c1 | }
> > > }
> > >
> > > words = \lyricmode {
> > >   I want to sing.
> > >   \repeat volta 2 {
> > >     Cre -- ate in me a clean heart.
> > >   }
> > > }
> > >
> > > \score {
> > >   \new Staff <<
> > >     \clef treble
> > >     \time 4/4
> > >     \key c \major
> > >     \new Voice = "solo" \notes
> > >     \lyricsto "solo" \new Lyrics \words
> > >   >>
> > > }
> >
> > Just had a play with this. I have never used \repeat within lyrics and I
> > was surprised to see that you had done so.
> >
> > How about:
> >
> > \version "2.14.2"
> >
> > notes = \relative c' {
> >   c4 c c c |
> >   \repeat volta 2 { r c d e | f g a( b) | c1 | }
> > }
> >
> > words = \lyricmode {
> >   I want to sing.
> >     Cre -- ate in me a clean heart.
> > }
> >
> > \score {
> >   \new Staff <<
> >     \clef treble
> >     \time 4/4
> >     \key c \major
> >     \new Voice = "solo" \notes
> >     \lyricsto "solo" \new Lyrics \words
> >   >>
> > }
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Colin.
> >
> > --
> > Colin Hall
>
> Interesting.  The code you presented actually works

I've never done it any other way, and it's been a few years now.

> despite not following the guidelines in the Notation Reference
> (Section 2.1.2, "Techniques specific to lyrics", subsection "Lyrics
> and repeats"), where it it clearly says that one should use a parallel
> "repeat" construct inside the lyrics definition.

Yes, I saw that.

> So maybe it's actually a documentation bug, not a code bug per se?

I suspect it is both.

All those examples you referred to in NR 2.1.2 ought to work with rests
in the music.

> But thanks very much for the code suggestion--it will enable me to avoid doing
> the repeat manually (not that that would be such a tragedy).

You can help us improve Lilypond by submitting a bug report. Could you
do that please? Instructions on how to do this are here:

http://lilypond.org/bug-reports.html

Cheers,
Colin.

--