Re: Override placement

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Override placement
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 14:34:42 +0100

Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> am I right that there is no \with-block for scores?
> Why do I write \score (not \new Score) but \new Staff?

Because \score is just where the music appears, not implying any
particular context (apart from Global which is created automatically)?
You can perfectly fine write

\score { \new Score \with { \override Clef.color = #red }
         { \new Staff { c c c c } } }

> Is that correct: overrides on Staff or Voice level go into a \with
> block, overrides on score level go into the \layout block?

No.

> Why am I not allowed to use a context prefix there? Like
> \layout { \override Staff.Clef.color = #red }

\score { \new Staff { c c c c } }
\layout { \override Staff.Clef.color = #red }

works fine here, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

> Is there a difference between:
>   \new Staff \with { \override Clef.color = #red } { a }
> and
>   \new Staff { \override Staff.Clef.color = #red  a }

Yes.  Check out

\score {
  \new StaffGroup <<
    \new Staff { \grace { c'8 } f'4 }
    \new Staff \with { \override Clef.color = #red } { a }

}

\score {
  \new StaffGroup <<
    \new Staff { \grace { c'8 } f'4 }
    \new Staff { \override Staff.Clef.color = #red  a }

David Kastrup