Re: Fwd: How to insert an "auxiliary" staff for divisi strings?

From: Mark Witmer
Subject: Re: Fwd: How to insert an "auxiliary" staff for divisi strings?
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 22:32:13 -0500

You can specify remove-first for an individual staff rather than the
entire score, either by putting \override VerticalAxisGroup.remove-first
= ##t inside the Staff's \with clause or by putting \override
Staff.VerticalAxisGroup.remove-first = ##t at the beginning of the music
for the staff.

>From the manual:

---

Removing the first empty line

The first empty staff can also be removed from the score by setting the
VerticalAxisGroup property remove-first. This can be done globally
inside the \layout block, or locally inside the specific staff that
should be removed. In the latter case, you have to specify the context
(Staff applies only to the current staff) in front of the property.

---
(http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/modifying-single-staves#hiding-staves)

I'm using some 2.17 syntax here; in 2.16 and earlier you need to use
syntax like "\override Staff.VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first =
##t". That still works in the newest version, but I think it'll be
phased out at some point in the future in favor of separating everything
w/periods.

Mark