Re: Aleatoric / modern notation

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Aleatoric / modern notation
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 12:23:14 -0600

Hi Jeff,

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Jeffrey Trevino <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi David,

I just saw this fix. Thanks for spending so much time tweaking this. Maybe there's a way it can be integrated into the Lilypond code, since you've spent so much time developing it. I'll be using it in a score soon.

I've actually been working at this off and on since I sent you that fix, and I've added some functionality.  You no longer need to guess at the length of the extender line: you specify its endpoint with the command \frameExtenderEnd.  Also, the extender (now a separate grob called "FrameExtender") can be broken across lines.

There are still some issues to resolve.  One of these problems is that the new stencil isn't taken into account in vertical spacing, and this can result in overlaps in extreme cases.  (Try moving some of the groups into regions with many ledger lines.) I'm guessing that the difficulty arises because the frame isn't an outside-staff object, but I'm unsure how to proceed.

There's some test code in the attached file.  Mike Solomon suggested that I handle alignment between the component parts (the frame, the extender, and ultimately a bracket-with-timing affair to encompass the frame and extender) with an alignment grob (as DynamicLineSpanner and the like).  This is one angle I'm exploring.  (At the moment, uncommenting the \consists line will just draw boxes around the whole affair.)

Anyway, I hope this proves helpful.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions, or run into difficulties.