Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 22:17:25 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>>> No.
>>
>> Beg to differ.  Formatting for electronic display of music is one of
>> the more important application areas for LilyPond.
>
> Beg to differ, too.  A `web font' is essentially a font suitable for a
> computer display with a (quite) low resolution.  In particular, such a
> font contains hints to intentionally distort the glyph shapes, making
> them render fine on such devices.
>
> Lilypond fonts and its other graphical objects like slurs don't do
> this.  It looks extremely ugly if you get `crystal clear' rendering of
> a display font like Arial (or probably even an embedded bitmap for the
> given PPEM value), while the rest of the score appears fuzzy.

That means that we probably should be focusing about how we can get
reasonable hinting for Feta.

Tablets and/or electronic ink are becoming increasingly important
players in music.

<URL:http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57546915-1/orchestra-swaps-sheet-music-for-the-galaxy-note-10.1/>

Now Feta has the advantage of following traditional music type shapes,
and those are designed for low resolution anyway as stamping with a type
does not really allow for integrated hairline shapes: fine lines have to
be etched separately.

--
David Kastrup