Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????

From: Antonio Gervasoni
Subject: Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 11:58:02 -0800 (PST)

Urs wrote:

> Well, the risk may be that it is a case of immediate enthusiasm which
> might fade away
> when there aren't immediate results ;-)

Yes, I am aware of that! So I have already decided that I will definitely
document my approach to the matter. If the collaborative effort is
successful then I'll contribute to it with my text, if not I'll just find
the proper place to upload it and make it available to all Lilypond users.

> I think that the contributions we are talking about right now (tutorial
> and material
> for orchestral scores for example) could very well be included in c)

Excelent! Very nice project, by the way. Thank you for presenting it with so
much detail. My basic plan for the document is to describe each step of the
process, exactly as I did it, present the problems I found in the way and
how I "tackled" each one of them and then include possible alternative
approaches, if I can think of any. I think the best way to do this is to
start by presenting the file structure, along with the templates and a
description of how the score and parts will be obtained from those files.
Then I would go on a per-instrument basis, starting with the flute and
moving downwards in the score (which is how I did it), describing the
different problems I encountered along the way and how I solved them.

> IMHO it isn't advisable to directly tackle a 'definitve and exhaustive'
> guide.
> This _is_ a huge project and probably would get stuck before we'd get any
> single result.
> I would suggest to see it as a growing collection of individual documents.
> Any single
> new text that is available publicly is an improvement, so we should
> encourage anybody
> to contribute, be it a 30 page essay on orchestral scores or a one page
> hint on a practice
> to transpose harmonically complex scores.

I agree! Trying to build something according to a plan that goes from simple
to complex is very difficult and could get stuck. I think it is better to
collect what users are willing to share and from there start filling in the
blanks little by little. It is best to have an incomplete guide than to have
no guide at all!

> My 'natural' choice would be the (already existing, but essentially empty)
> Github repository

This is the first time I take a look at a Github repository so honestly I
couldn't say it is better than any other solution.

> No need to worry. A document in non-perfect English (and I don't see any
> problem when reading
> your emails ...) is far better than no document.

Well, it is one thing to write emails and another to write a document like
that. I read a lot in English and I'm always amazed at the way a native
English speaker writes in his own language. I could never come up with
something of that quality. But it's reassuring to know that I'm not doing it
bad. Thank you!

> And if we'd go for the Git approach it would be
> easy for someone else to just make a few improvements here and there ...

Excelent!

> Very nice! It's a perfect example of the aesthetic credo mentioned on the
> first page of the
> introduction on lilypond.org.

Thank you! And thanks also to Ben's comment! Besides the missing parts there
are also minor collision and out-of-place issues that I'll address at the
end.

> Finally, I hope we can take up and keep the impetus this discussion has
> created ...

So do I!

Regards,

Antonio