Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 19:47:35 +0100

Am 09.01.2013 19:11, schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
I'm rather looking for a free alternative to be shared publicly ....
That's what i mean. Free software needs funding too :)

On 9 Jan 2013, at 08:47, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
Precisely. It makes sense to fund a public resource.

If you see something close to what you want Playfair for example,
you could ask the designer to make a version with less contrast as
Libre software and fund that work.  He probably has a lower contrast
version already.
Actually, I would rather like to have a font which exactly clones the
old lyrics font.  But this is probably me only.
This points to one problem I see with this approach:
If one wanted to create something new (or rework something existing) there would be _much_ discussion to do. And I don't know if this would lead to some agreement. I recall the heated debate when Janek retouched the single glyph of the treble clef and don't dare to imagine the potential conflicts when it comes to a whole font. Basically everybody in this discussion has different needs and opinions. What a new font would imply wouldn't be less than a new visual appearance for LilyPond (even if considered as an optional addition).

I'm afraid that's way over my head to engage in (at least currently).

Best
Urs

     Werner