Re: sophisticated SystemStartBar callback needed

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: sophisticated SystemStartBar callback needed
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 10:27:25 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kieren MacMillan" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 5:26 AM

Hi Phil,

Why do you need the line at all? I've never seen a vocal score anything like that, and I have seen quite a few.

With only a very quick scan of my library, I turned up about a dozen that have a bar for the vox — they're mostly musical theatre scores (e.g., Les Miz, Sweeney Todd, Light In The Piazza, etc.), though some are "traditional" scores.

Aah.  I don't do MT :-)

Gould says it shouldn't be there. Soloists = single line on the left. Chorus = bracket.

1. As both conductor and engraver, I find the "loose staves" quite a distraction; the barred group is superior to my eye (and, apparently, to the engravers of the scores mentioned above). 2. Notation evolves to better service the needs of performers — just because Gould says something, doesn't make it so. ;)

Agreed.  She's good guidance though.

If I had to do what you're trying to do, I think I'd simply make 2 staves of chorus: "chorus with solos" and "chorus no solos" and let lilypond lose the relevant one at the relevant time.

Phil Holmes