Re: sophisticated SystemStartBar callback needed

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: sophisticated SystemStartBar callback needed
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 00:26:28 -0500

Hi Phil,

> Why do you need the line at all?  I've never seen a vocal score anything like
> that, and I have seen quite a few.

With only a very quick scan of my library, I turned up about a dozen that have
a bar for the vox — they're mostly musical theatre scores (e.g., Les Miz,
Sweeney Todd, Light In The Piazza, etc.), though some are "traditional" scores.

> Gould says it shouldn't be there.  Soloists = single line on the left.
> Chorus = bracket.

1. As both conductor and engraver, I find the "loose staves" quite a
distraction; the barred group is superior to my eye (and, apparently, to the
engravers of the scores mentioned above).
2. Notation evolves to better service the needs of performers — just because
Gould says something, doesn't make it so.  ;)

Thanks,
Kieren.