Re: Syntax for make-dynamic-script

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Syntax for make-dynamic-script
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 00:58:32 +0100

Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden> writes:

> On 21 December 2012 19:57, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Can anyone spot what is wrong with this?
>>
>> (snip)
>>
>> It is supposed to place a customized dynamics "pia." on the score. It
>> does this, but the point-and-click location given is
>> textedit://filename:0:0:0
>>
>> that is, no line or column information. Curiously, if I insert the text
>> of the definition directly, all is well.
>
> Hi,
>
> Add a dash between <> and #(make-dynamic-script ...
> The dash is AFAIK mandatory for such post-event "thing",
> though I know David worked on this subject, but don't ask me
> what he did or explanation about the future.
>
>   MvmntIVoiceI = {
>     <>-#(make-dynamic-script (markup #:normal-text #:bold #:italic
>       "pia.")) a'4
>   }

What he wrote previously would have given an error in the current
development rather that delivering a half-nonsensical music expression.
What you recommend instead would not work in any version known to me:
#... is accepted in a limited number of circumstances with a known
interpretation (none of which would be "articulation" as far as I
remember) and without _any_ reinterpretation or adding of data such as
location data.  For getting a copy with individual location data, you
indeed need to write $(make-dynamic-script ... and I'd actually write
the more legible #(make-dynamic-script #{ \markup \normal-text \bold ...

It is not clear to me why one would want a dynamic-script here: it is
formatted like a non-dynamic script and "pia" means "devout" in Italian
which is not really a dynamic instruction.

--
David Kastrup