Re: Tweaking notehead direction in chords

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Tweaking notehead direction in chords
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 14:14:31 -0500

On Dec 17, 2012, at 6:13 PM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:

> I had a closer look at this snippet.
> Attached you'll find my version of it.

Hi Harm,

I had a chance to take a closer look at your improved version of this snippet.
Very nice work, thank you!  The changes and additions all make sense to me.  It
will be much harder to break it now.  It's nice having the stemAdjust function
to make that simpler, and I liked your crazy NoteHeads.  :-)

I started work on editing it for the LSR (see attachment).  Having the comments
explaining the steps is really nice.  I thought it would probably be good to
comment out the test section and the music examples that go with it to keep
things focused and simple for people browsing the LSR.  I do like keeping these
tests in there since they will help people understand the code and the problems
that it solves.  What do you think?

Also, I noticed a small fine-tuning issue.  In the four note chords in the last
measure of the attached LSR example, the two offset E flat notes are not
exactly aligned with the A and C notes above them in either chord, if you zoom
in.  In the previous version they were fully aligned.  I haven't had a chance
to try and fix this yet.  Any thoughts on what needs to be adjusted there?

> BTW, 'stem-begin-position doesn't exist in 2.14.2, but overriding
> 'stem-attachment will work, if it is placed correctly.

Huh, that's odd, as overriding 'stem-begin-position is working in the current
LSR version (2.14.2 -   http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=861).  Maybe you
meant it doesn't exist in 2.16?  Good to know that stem-attachment will work
for chords.  I'll just need to figure out the proper placement.

Regards and thanks again,
-Paul