Re: unhiding a hidden staff at the NEXT line break (instead of previous

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: unhiding a hidden staff at the NEXT line break (instead of previous line break)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 08:20:06 +0000 (UTC)

<nothingwavering <at> gmail.com> writes:

> This dead-is-alive stuff make it sound like any staff Lilypond would
> normally hide is shown and any staff it would normally show is hidden.
Yes.

> How does that help to defer showing a staff until the next line break?

Normally, LilyPond will hide a staff if it is completely empty;
show a staff if it is partially or completely full of music.

If you have been telling LilyPond "consider this staff to be empty" and
then at some point in your music you tell her "now consider it full" then
the line of music containing that transition point will be partially full.
LilyPond will print it, but you want to wait for the next line.

If instead you say "consider this staff always full" and at that same
transition point say "now consider it to be empty"  there will still
be a partially full line at the transition.  If we make a "dead-is-alive"
rule, then LilyPond will hide the "full" and "partially full" lines, but
show the "empty line" that starts after the transition point.

>  Isn't there some kind of Scheme call-back

I do not know anything about Scheme callbacks.

If it were not for the sections where you need to show divisi cellos as
chords on a single staff, you could use the solution from the French list:

Use one continuous Staff for the first cello, read by both during unison.
Create another Staff, normally hidden,
 filled with spacers or quoteDuring or copied notes for the unison parts
 un-hidden and showing the second cello during divisi parts

Then the RemoveEmptyStaves feature will show that second Staff for as
many full lines as required to cover the divisi periods, and you can
let the first Staff simply continue.