Re: Writing to the console (debug info)

From: Mark Witmer
Subject: Re: Writing to the console (debug info)
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 01:40:47 -0500

You can do that with Scheme.  I don't know if there's a LilyPond command for it.

#(display <your object here>) will display what you give it, either a plain string or an _expression_. The results aren't always totally useful (give it a \paper{} block, for example, and it will just say #<Output_def>) but that's a start. #(newline) will move to the next line if you want cleaner output.

There's also a procedure called 'format' that is more like printf.

http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs-1.8/guile-ref/Formatted-Output.html#index-format-3918

-Mark

On Dec 14, 2012 6:39 PM, "Olivier Biot" <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 12:20 AM, Eric Pancer <address@hidden> wrote:
On Dec 14, 2012, at 17:05, Olivier Biot <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to write text to the console in LilyPond?
>
> I'd like to display the file currently processed to keep track of problems on a 60 part etude

Use a "-v" flag when running it in Terminal.

Hi Eric,

I'm running LilyPond either directly or from Frescobaldi. I'm not sure I can set the "-v" flag in Frescobaldi.

Is there really no way to display something directly to the console, e.g. as in the C function:

fprintf(stderr, "Processing %s\n", fileName);

Best regards,

Olivier