Re: Likely bug in 2.16.1: Changing docu ment fonts messes lots of things

From: Arle Lommel
Subject: Re: Likely bug in 2.16.1: Changing docu ment fonts messes lots of things up…
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 10:16:46 +0100

I found the cause. I had changed the global staff size to 16. As long as the
global staff size stays at the default value of 20, things are fine. If it goes
smaller or larger, the scaling goes off. Unfortunately the commands for
changing fonts are not size independent, which seems like a very odd choice,
nor is it obvious from the documentation what the numbers in "myStaffSize =
#20" and "(/ myStaffSize 20)" actually do. Even playing with the numbers I am
unable to figure it out.

Although there may be a logic to the structure, there are two things that
should be considered

1. If there is a rationale why font choice should be tied to staff size in this
way, the documentation at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/fonts should be updated to
explain those values so that users nor versed in the arcana of the font system
can make an intelligent choice of values to allow for different staff sizes.
(I'd volunteer text, but I can't figure out what in the world the values do.)
Maybe somebody with more knowledge can explain the numbers?

2. Even if it is intentional, I'd argue it is so nonintuitive that the design
choice should be reconsidered and the mechanism for font choice made
independent of the staff size.

I will submit this as a bug in a moment.

-Arle