Re: Aleatoric / modern notation

From: Jeffrey Trevino
Subject: Re: Aleatoric / modern notation
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:47:45 -0800

Hi David,

Yes, I think it's reasonable to confine the frame to a single line, even though the arrow must be breakable.

I'm also having problems using the construct on parallel staffs within a score. It works fine for a single staff, but when I try to use the same construct on two staffs simultaneously, I get, "

warning: No start to this box.
Preprocessing graphical objects...frameEngraver4.ly:124:23: In procedure ly:grob-property in _expression_ (ly:grob-property frame (quote padding)):frameEngraver4.ly:124:23: Wrong type argument in position 1 (expecting Grob): ()

"

I don't know how the Scheme is working here, so maybe you can try out two of these in parallel and let me know if it's working for you.

best,
Jeff

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 8:10 AM, David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Jeffrey,

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Jeffrey Trevino
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> The box construct from this thread is working fine on my machine, but I'd
> like to know how to add one important feature to it: It's currently the case
> that the arrow isn't "breakable," i. e. if the box's entire duration exceeds
> the graphic space of the first line, the arrow stops on the first line and
> you end up with a bunch of blank space on the second line. How can the arrow
> break and continue on the second line? I know that many spanners have a
> "breakable" attribute -- maybe there's a straightforward way to add this
> ability to the box's arrow?

Yes, this is something which could be added.  It's a problem I've been
aware of and wanted to fix.  (The issue at the moment is having the
time to do it now that the end of the semester is here!

The extender line certainly should have this capability, but I'm in
doubt about the frame itself.  Would it make sense to insist that the
frame be confined to a single line?

-David

--
Jeff Treviño