Re: lyrics to music

From: Fr. Michael Gilmary, mma
Subject: Re: lyrics to music
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 12:25:26 -0500

On Nov 21 AD 2012, at 8:18 AM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:

Hi Father Michael,

Hi Kieren!

There are too many situations where the lyrics in different verses of the same music have different syllabic structure.

At the risk of dragging this out --- I'm very grateful for all the input --- what I detect is that there is a basic division of opinion: 1) those who look mostly to the music; 2) those who look mostly to the words/lyrics.

Since no one can look at both simultaneously (unless someone's eyes move independently of each other) there will be a preference for one or the other depending on one's chief focus.

My sympathy will be to have the lyrics more readable. With a little experience in typography over the last few years, I acknowledge that a given text will be easier to read when the spacing between words is regular and consistent ... it's deplorable AND difficult to read a text where the spacing between words is different not only in one line, but from line to line stacked up on a page.

So, that's my reason for my preference. I think I can see why some would prefer the present convention since it makes the music more readable. And if my eye were more towards the music, then I might prefer that way, too.

United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma

Most Holy Trinity Monastery
67 Dugway Road