Re: Tikz(or any) integration or drawing curved arrows

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Tikz(or any) integration or drawing curved arrows
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 01:14:07 +0100

2012/11/20 Stretto <address@hidden>:
> Respectfully, you don't seem to be reading my posts. I said lilypond could
> export the coordinates in my 2nd post, the one you responded to. What you
> fail to realize is that the whole point is for lilypond to be the one to
> deal with the coordinates. Regardless of how you want to have this done, it
> is pointless for the user to have to use absolute coordinates in his tikz
> code because of the reasons I previously gave.
>
> So, if you want lilypond to export a coordinate list(hopefully more than
> just a list of numbers, as that will be damn near useless) or to use some
> markup language build in to lilypond, it must be done by lilypond because
> lilypond is the only one that knows the actual coordinates.
>
> I proposed that lilypond handle it inside ly code because it can remove
> several extra steps such as automatically adding the overlay and allowing
> for inline markup code. One could allow for a second tikz code section which
> works on "marked" elements.
>
> If I have to use `\draw (3.2, 5.8) -- (1.8, 4.5);` to draw a line between
> two elements in a lilypond score then I am using absolute coordinates and it
> is the worse way to do it. There is no other way to do this AFAIK.
>
> BUT if I can do `\draw (note1) -- (note2);` then I'm using nodes and it is
> the preferred way. This is using aliases for the coordinates, in which case,
> lilypond can take care of the mapping for us. If the actual coordinates
> change then it won't affect our code as much.

This all so far was in my idea of a workflow for tikz graphs on
lilypond scores. Marking points in the lilypond input, giving them
symbolic names, then using those names to let you make a graph using
tikz. I remember to have said absolute coordinates is not the problem
as long as you do not see them.

All extra steps can be done in a script. There is no need to force
lilypond to do all steps by itself; as lilypond is aware of the
coordinates and the names you chose for them, I imagined a little
intrusive way of doing it, is exporting all the names along with the
coordinates. Then an external latex file with the tikz graph could use
those coordinates, but you only refer to them by their names. The
script could compose the overlay for you. I think this could be a way
of achieving the goal with minimum changes to lilypond.

IMO doing everything inside of lilypond is not a good idea because
lilypond does not use latex for anything.
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com