Re: Lyrics disappear with associatedVoice in a duet

From: Eric van Gyzen
Subject: Re: Lyrics disappear with associatedVoice in a duet
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 17:34:28 -0600

Phil Holmes wrote Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:06 AM

From: "Eric van Gyzen" <address@hidden>

I'm writing a vocal duet on a ChoirStaff with lyrics between two staves.
When one voice rests, I'm trying to use associatedVoice to make the lyrics
follow the other voice.  I would expect the lyrics to remain between the
staves, but the lyrics disappear completely.

I can get the voice switch to work by (a) reading the NR, where it says
"\set associatedVoice = "two" % must be set one syllable early" and (b)
creating the alto part before we try to set the lyrics to it.  However, the
lyrics seem stuck below the music for me.

Read NR 5.1.7, give the Staff context a name and
use alignBelowContext:

\new ChoirStaff <<
      \new Staff = "SopranoStaff"
      \new Voice = "SopranoVoice" \relative c' { c4 d e f r1 }
      \new Staff
      \new Voice = "AltoVoice" \relative c' { r1 f4 e d c }
      \new Lyrics \with { alignBelowContext = "SopranoStaff" }
      \lyricsto "SopranoVoice" {
          So -- pran -- os
          \set associatedVoice = #"AltoVoice"
          rule.
          Al -- tos are cool.
      }

That's exactly what I needed. I had read about all of those directives, but hadn't thought of combining them in quite that way.

Thanks for your help, Trevor!

Eric