Re: Tikz(or any) integration or drawing curved arrows

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Tikz(or any) integration or drawing curved arrows
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 19:46:53 +0100

Am 16.11.2012 12:33, schrieb Urs Liska:
Am 16.11.2012 11:28, schrieb Francisco Vila:
2012/11/16 Francisco Vila <address@hidden>:
2012/11/16 Stretto <address@hidden>:
I would like to draw some curved arrows between notes, sort of like slurs that have arrow tips at the end. It would be even better if I could actually integrate tikz code and each musical element be treated as a node... this
way I could leverage the power of tikz to draw non-musical symbols and
graphics. Just drawing curved and straight arrows will do though.

Any ideas if this is possible?
 From the little I know about TikZ I can say it could be possible if
the typesetting engine of lilypond were LaTeX, but it is not. Music is
drawn using Postscript primitives.
That said, we already have point-and-click links in PDF for most
notation elements. They are text coordinates (line+column) taken from
input code. Something similar is what you propose and it is very
interesting; we would need something like this:

First, marking desired elements in the input. We have balloons
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/outside-the-staff#balloon-help
that could inspire some new ideas on how to implement it.

Then, make lilypond to export a file which contains the coordinates of
the points you marked before.

Maybe this file could be converted to TikZ nodes and it would be
possible to create a transparent layer on top of the score, that
contains your TikZ graph. Is it possible to make a TikZ graph using
absolute paper coordinates?

I don't know enough about it, but it should be possible to place images at an arbitrary place on an otherwise empty page.

One could also think about the other way of importing the score pdf in the latex document with pdfpages. If that would work, one could finetune the TikZ graph on top of the finished score..

Is it OTOH possible to somehow invoke an external command during LilyPond's creating process (which could be a script to write a snippet LaTeX document and produce an .eps file on-the-fly that could then be included in LilyPond (making use of its collision handling)=?
Yes, see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-09/msg00004.html

Marc