Chord symbols spacing

From: Stretto
Subject: Chord symbols spacing
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 21:46:46 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to create a chord symbol like

C^{7b5}

and

C^{[b9]}

(the notation is tex'ish)

I've used custom markup instead of chord symbols because I don't understand
how to write custom symbols. When using markup the 7b5 looks like 7 b 5 and
the flat has a lot of space on each side. Using a 'b' symbol works fine but
doesn't look musical. e.g., ...\super{7\flat5}

When using brackets I get [b][9] from \super\bracket{\flat9}.

Maybe someone can show me how to do these things using custom chord symbols?