Re: bmc2ly: Braille music to LilyPond conversion

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: bmc2ly: Braille music to LilyPond conversion
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:23:47 +0100

Mario Lang <address@hidden> writes:

> Since about 4 years now I am working on Open Source software to
> process (first write, now read) braille music code.
>
> My current subproject in that area is parsing braille music code and
> converting it to another (visual) representation.  While I have worked
> lots with MusicXML in the past, it made more sense to start with
> LilyPond when it comes to exporting my parse results.

It's nicer to generate than XML I should think, like PostScript is nicer
to generate than PDF (and indeed, LilyPond goes via the PostScript
path).  But of course it is a bit more of a moving target.

> As a small teaser, I include two examples in this mail directly.
> First is the braille music code, followed by the LilyPond source
> created from bmc2ly.

If it is supposed to tease, this begs the question whether there is a
considerable corpus of BMC available online.

Would it be useful if LilyPond could export BMC?  Possibly even just for
verifying that your conversion has retained meaning?  Would that be
realistic?

--
David Kastrup