Re: Supporting LilyPond development financially

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Supporting LilyPond development financially
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 04:48:27 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> And it is not like there is 100% approval on the stuff I do.
>
> I think that there is 100% approval that you *do* such a huge amount
> of work.  And you should be payed for that IMHO.

Uh, no?  If I "should" be paid for my work on LilyPond, so should be
everybody else, in proportion to their contribution.  I may at the time
be the largest single contributor, but that does not mean that I do the
majority of work.  It is just that _my_ work depends on getting paid.
Money is not a reward here (and if the kind of work I do was not
rewarding in itself, I would not be doing it), it is just the means to
keep me going.  That's not fair, but I hope it is a good deal.

Now for one thing this is an all-or-nothing deal since I am not really
able to focus on more than one endeavor at the same time.  But for
another, it turns out that not just the amount of stuff I can do profits
from that deal, but also the depth of the stuff I can deal with, and if
things in LilyPond annoy me, I have no distractions in between that
would make it easier for me to accept things as they are.

--
David Kastrup