Re: exact dimenions of pdf/png

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: exact dimenions of pdf/png
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 11:42:51 +0100 (CET)

>> The usage manual however (section 4.4) tells me to do this:
>>
>>   lilypond -dbackend=eps \
>>            -dno-gs-load-fonts \
>>            -dinclude-eps-fonts \
>>            --png \
>>            -dresolution=1200 \
>>            figure.ly
>>
>> That results in a png that is too wide.  There seems another
>> mechanism at work to determine size of resulting image.  Cropping?
>
> I seem to remember some slop added for the sake of the manual or
> something.  Werner?

There is some extra offset for lilypond-book (via `eps-box-padding'
IIRC).  Unfortunately, the bbox calculation within LilyPond has
problems; for example, beams are not correctly taken into account -- I
think there is a bug report already for this.

If you really need the tightest PNG image possible, I suggest to use
margins on all sides, then using a different program like `pnmcrop' to
remove the borders.

> I have no idea why the more complex options would be recommended here:
> when converting to PNG anyhow, it would seem quite irrelevant to me
> which fonts are getting embedded or not in the intermediate EPS file.

Correct.

    Werner