Re: Grace note aligned to beat

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Grace note aligned to beat
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 03:20:57 +0000 (UTC)

Oscar Dub <oscardub <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Grace notes in LilyPond seem to be engraved before the note they are attached
> to by default. Is there an
> override or a hack so I can get graces displayed as I'd like (i.e displacing
> the note hosting them)?

If there are just a few, it is easier to write them as normal notes.
Explicitly specify that the first note is in small type, and that the
durations are shorter than what is literally shown on the printed score.

{\clef bass
 \stemUp \teeny gis8*1/2_(\> \stemNeutral \normalsize fis'1*15/16)\! }

The grace gets spaced like 1/2 of an eighth note, and then the whole note
gets the remaining 15/16 of a whole note to fill the measure.