Tuplets in Orthodox Liturgical Music

From: The Doctor (Michael D)
Subject: Tuplets in Orthodox Liturgical Music
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 19:17:38 -0400

Hi.

I am using the gregorian  to arrange Eastern Orthodox chant music. I am working on music from the eight tones (which has a lot of 'recitatives') and would like to be able to use tuplets to 'group' and indicate notes and thus syllables that should be sung together.

However, in my example attached, when I add a triplet to the score, it really affects my spacing. I would rather not have to constantly try and adjust and readjust my LyricSpace and LyricHyphen distances for each piece. Also, if there is a way to do this, would it be better to just indicate this 'phrasing' in another manner; perhaps by simply bracketing the notes together without using a tuplet - most of the time I would need duplets and triplets, though sometimes, I could see the need for larger tuplets.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
--
Best wishes (In Christ),
Philip (Michael) Dykes