Re: Text Spanner, with Text left-aligned to bar-line, and spanner line r

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Text Spanner, with Text left-aligned to bar-line, and spanner line right-aligned to subsequent bar-line?
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 08:48:18 -0500

Hi Zenaan,

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi David, got back home and your example works well on 2.14.2! Great!
>
> But I failed to make it work in my context. I tidied and reduced my
> score and attached (3.4KiB).

Thank you for doing this.  I'm sorry to hear that you're having
problems with the function...

> I've tried using your capo spanner in the melodyA part, and in the
> bassA part, and the melody gives error, and when in the bass part, the
> capo spanner only lines up with notes.

Well, you need to make sure that \capoVHalf is directly before
whatever you're attaching the text spanner to; otherwise, the override
won't apply (as it's prefaced by \once).

Doing this doesn't fix all the problems though, and here I'm afraid
I'm not going to be much help.

I noticed some very strange behavior when you start the spanner at the
beginning of a score or at the beginning of a line (as you do in your
example): namely, the overrides for '(bound-details left-broken . . .
) kick in.  In my attached example, the spanner is most assuredly not
broken (see the log output for more confirmation), and I don't
understand why uncommenting the overrides within `capoVHalf' should
have any impact at all.  (The one kills the text, the other introduces
obvious padding.)

I can't suggest a fix, so I suppose the alternatives are to use the
function I gave you within narrow(ing) constraints, or eyeballing
values for '(bound-details left padding) to justify the left text to
the bar line case-by-case.

Sorry :(

-David