Replacing the r1 glyph

From: Oscar Dub
Subject: Replacing the r1 glyph
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 01:30:58 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to typeset a score that uses the notation shown in the attached image to represent whole rests.

As I see it there are two stages to achieving this in LilyPond:
– Creating the necessary glyph (I assume the simplest way would be to edit scripts.ufermata from Feta, but am completely unsure where to start).
– Writing and implementing a scheme function to engrave the glyph in place of the standard 'r1' output.

As a relatively new LilyPond user, I'm struggling with both tasks. Any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Oscar