Re: Possible feature request for 'q' shorthand or tie syntax

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Possible feature request for 'q' shorthand or tie syntax
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 11:01:59 -0700

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 07:45:41PM +0200, Nicolas Sceaux wrote:

> Le 20 sept. 2012 à 19:21, Graham Percival a écrit :
>
> >> A single note name is not that much longer to type than q.  If it is
> >> really important to you, place the single note in a chord:
> >> <des> is perfectly repeatable by q.
> >
> > What would we lose if every note was automatically a (single-note)
> > chord?
>
> That behavior is intended, so that you can write:
>
>   c <e g c'> g q c q g q
>
> And the idea, if you wanted to repeat the previous single note, is
> to enclose it between < >.
> q repeats the last chord, not the last note.  That's why it's named
> chord repetition symbol.

I thought the behaviour was intended to simplify things like
  <c e g>4 q q q

I'm particularly asking about making every note into a chord
because that would make David's favorite <> construct a *lot* more
consistent.  At the moment, we have
  no note at a time unit: <>
  single note at a time unit: c'4
  multiple notes at a time unit: <c e g>4

If c'4 was actually a shortcut for <c'>4, then we could have a
consistent notion that every time unit in every voice is a chord;
that chord may contain 0, 1, or many notes.

- Graham