Re: F-flat Key Signature

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: F-flat Key Signature
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 13:11:49 +0200

Am 19.09.2012 13:02, schrieb Mark Knoop:
At 12:43 on 19 Sep 2012, Thomas Morley wrote:
Image:
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fes-dur
Theoretical text (in german):
http://books.google.de/books?id=D6ZZFHIuQ54C&pg=PA68&lpg=PA68&ots=oEy-27k2LK&dq=fes-dur&hl=de
Interestingly, on the english wikipedia page the B double flat is
notated first, I think wrongly. (And with awful spacing in this
Sibelius produced image.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Db_minor_key_signature.png

I believe the initial B-flat is optional.

Maybe it's useful to have the linked theoretical text translated (although I think it's just some book on music theory, not anything specifically aurthoritative): "Since the scales discussed so far consist of seven different keys, there are only seven different accidentals available per scale. If e.g. g sharp major reaches the eighth accidental f doublesharp the first accidental f sharp must be omitted." So like in a Fifo buffer the first accidentals (f sharp or b flat a.s.o.) are bumped out -> the double accidentals go at the end.

I'm not sure however in which cases it really should make sense to have such keys as general key signatures. Of course these keys occur (although sparingly) in real music, but usually only temporarily.

HTH
Urs