Re: lilypond manual intro

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: lilypond manual intro
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 16:13:31 +0200

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 12:30:44AM +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 12:14 AM, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > It is surely possible to make mod_rewrite not change the visible url, or
>> > otherwise arrange for the version-independent url to be shown, if
>> > there's a will for that to be the case ...
>>
>> That sounds very interesting!
>
> I'm not certain that's a good idea, since it opens the door to
> dead links.
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning/accidentals-and-key-signatures
> is a valid link and will remain visible for the next 10 years
> (barring truly unfortunate accidents)
> http://lilypond.org/doc/stable/Documentation/learning/accidentals-and-key-signatures
> will only remain visible as long as we do not change the structure
> of the Learning manual.

That's a valid concern.

> For the sake of people looking up emails in mailing list archives,
> I would prefer to keep the redirect rather than mod_rewrite.  It
> might be good to mention
> http://lilypond.org/stable
> somewhere (in the CG?), but only with a caution that only that
> link can be safely used (i.e. no subdirectories or exact
> filenames).

That surely won't do any harm.
What about using mod_rewrite for "top-level" links like
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning-big-page.html
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning/index.html
(as opposed to links to specific sections)

cheers,
Janek