Re: automatically left-aligning custom dynamics

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: automatically left-aligning custom dynamics
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 12:24:27 +0200

james <address@hidden> writes:

>     Ok, here is the deal: this is an override, which is something
>     happening at a single timestep to _everything_ in the current
>     context. If you want to combine them, you rather want a tweak,
>     which is something with its effect confined to what you are
>     tweaking.
>
>     rinforzleft = \tweak DynamicText #'self-alignment-X #-1 \rinforzmf
>
>     should do the trick.
>
> So does this mean I could do rinforza = \tweak DynamicText #'self-alignment-
> X #-1 #(make-dynamic-script #{ \markup … #} #) ? Or would that change
> all DynamicText things when I only want it to affect this individual
> one?

That should work fine.  It is actually quite equivalent to what the
other David's code does.  If you use

\void \displayLilyMusic \rinforza

and/or

\void \displayMusic \rinforza

afterwards, you should see about the same for either version.  When used
in actual music rather than in an assignment to rinforza, you'll need to
write

-\tweak ...

to inform LilyPond in advance that this is supposed to end up being an
articulation rather than standalone music.  It will be able to figure
this out when just writing \rinforza, but if you write \tweak ... in the
music itself, the parser needs the leading - to interpret this
correctly.  And it will be at least several weeks before I manage to
teach it to be smarter than that.

--
David Kastrup