Re: Attaca markup

From: Jay Anderson
Subject: Re: Attaca markup
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 19:57:34 -0700

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Daniel E. Moctezuma
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Perhaps these are more music theory questions than a LilyPond related.
> I was wondering which would be the correct way to place an "attaca" markup
> text?
> For example one could put:
>   c1_"attaca" \bar "|."

Gould says to put it at the end below the staff. Hers are lowercase,
italic and not bold.

> That would force to have markup to a specific note (or chord). Is there any
> equivalent as \new Dynamic indication to specify text like "attaca"?

This is how I've defined it in the past:

attacca =
{
  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility =
#begin-of-line-invisible
  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'direction = #DOWN
  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'font-size = 1
  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #right
  \mark \markup{\bold Attacca}
}

> Also, after an "attaca" indication should the bar numbers reset or continue
> counting?

I think that depends if the attacca is between movements or not.Bar
numbering usually restarts for a new movement.

-----Jay