[for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?

From: Davide Liessi
Subject: [for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 23:23:58 +0200

2012/8/25 martinwguy <address@hidden>:
> I'm not sure that it's worth trying to find a term that encapsulates
> the meaning of the term as accurately as possible using existing
> language terms, because the term itself is lilypond-internals-specific
> and the concept does not exist in everyday language, but only in the
> context of lilypond typesetting internals.
>
> In normal translation, you find the closest cultural match in the
> existing language already in use.
> In this case, it seems more important to use a term that says "I am a
> technical term and you probably don't know what I mean" than to try
> and explain in one word what a "lilypond spanner" is, with the risk of
> giving the illusion of having grasped the concept (ah.. it's a door
> lintel, or an extender, or a bridge part... or a
> demister/butter-maker/monkey-wrench :)

I agree with what you say.

Indeed I think that none of the single-word terms mentioned so far is
suitable to translate "spanner", because they all suggest the wrong
meaning and, using your own words, they «giv[e] the illusion of having
grasped the concept».
I am referring particularly to "tensore", whose main (common) meaning
is "something that stretches something else" (leaving aside the
mathematical meaning of "tensor").

I thought about our problem some more, today, and I changed my mind
w.r.t. "ponte", as after some time it doesn't seem to me a suitable
term anymore.

What you observed is part of the reasons because I think that
"indicazione estesa" or "oggetto esteso" would be the best choices:
despite the fact that these are two-word terms, they convey the exact
concept we need to describe, so if one tries to guess what they are,
chances are he gets the right meaning, in my opinion.
Furthermore, I think that they look technical enough to suggest to
read the manual.
So in the end I am convinced that they satisfy all the "requirements"
(accurate meaning, easy to guess, technical appearance) with the only
disadvantage of being two-word expressions.

I changed my mind also about the order of preference: I would choose
"indicazione estesa" and keep "oggetto esteso" as a substitution.

Best wishes,
Davide