Re:[for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?

From: Felipe Castro
Subject: Re:[for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 09:19:28 -0300

2012/8/24, Phil Holmes <address@hidden>:

>> Han-Wen, instead of "spanner", in English, would you use "extender"?
>> I'm not asking to change, just wondering if both words are equivalent
>> in this case.
>
> Replying as a native English speaker.  No, I don't believe I would.  An
> extender would be something that makes something extend - i.e. makes it
> longer.  A spanner (in this context) is something that spans.  So we could
> call a bridge a river spanner (although I don't believe anyone ever actually
> would).

Ok, thanks. Just one more doubt: what about that "extender-engraver"
thing, does it have something to do with dynamic spanners, text
spanners, line spanners, volta spanners, etc? Or is that in a
completely different context?

There is a message to be translated, that uses explicitly the word
"extender" (unterminated extender). So, for the case of Portuguese,
for example, translating "spanner" with "extensor" would make colide
both cases, so that spanner ~= extender.