Padding Between Upper and Lower Beams?

From: Champion James
Subject: Padding Between Upper and Lower Beams?
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:57:17 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I overrode the default beam thickness, as the beams looked a tad scrawny to me.

At 0.7 staff spaces, they look much better to my taste.  However, increasing
the
thickness makes the lower beams of 16th and 32nd notes run into the upper
beams,
creating the appearance of a single, massive beam.  I scoured the IR manual
looking for anything that might set the padding between the upper and lower
beams and/or set the position of lower beams, to no avail.  Increasing the stem
length does not seem to have any affect.  The following code block demonstrates
the issue:

% begin code
\version "2.14.0"

data = {f8 f f16 f f f f32 f f f f f f f }

\score {
  \relative c' {
    f4^\markup {Default beams}
    \data
    \override Beam #'beam-thickness = #0.7
    f4^\markup {Thicker beams collide}
    \data

% end code

Anyway to ensure padding between the beam levels, or to shift the lower beams
closer to the note heads?

Thanks in advance for any and all help,

Champion James