midi for orchestral scores

From: Shevek
Subject: midi for orchestral scores
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 16:24:32 -0700 (PDT)

I was wondering if anyone has developed a good workflow for dealing with midi
playback for scores using more than 16 instruments. I've been playing around
with the various options for midiChannelMapping and playback programs, but I
can't seem to figure out a way to get playback of all the parts with all the
right instruments. I realize the technical hurdles of actually implementing
multiple port playback in Lilypond, so I'm not asking about that. All the
same, it doesn't seem that what I want is that complicated from a user
perspective. I don't want to be able to tweak my midi in fancy ways or use
different special soundfonts or sample libraries: I just want to be able to
check the pitches and rhythms for all the parts with the correct midi
sounds. Does anyone have a good way of doing this?

I thought maybe the simplest way would be to make, for example, a midi file
for the wind parts, and a midi file for the string parts, and then play them
simultaneously to two separate midi ports, but I can't seem to figure out
how to get the files to play in sync.

Suggestions?