Re: "-dshow-available-fonts" vs. UNIX stdout?

From: Ralf Mattes
Subject: Re: "-dshow-available-fonts" vs. UNIX stdout?
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 07:59:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:14:09 +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:

> [...]

Correct.

> and other informative messages to stderr.  The
> main output of lilypond is the pdf, which actually goes to a file.

The main output of 'lilypond -dshow-available-fonts foo.ly' is
a pdf file? New to me ...
The main output (actually the _only_ output) of such an invokation
is the list of available fonts.

> The
> informative messages (e.g. a list of fonts) continue to adopt the
> principle of going to stderr.

So testing for the existance of a font like

 $ lilypond -dshow-available-fonts | grep 'MySwaschiGlyphs'

doesn't work. (BTW. grepping stderr is almost always a  sign
of bad scripting ...)

 Cheers, Ralf Mattes